- terms about creating and accessing accounts;
- a disclaimer of affiliation and/or responsibility for material posted or linked to the website;
- guidelines for acceptable user-generated content, such as:
Content may not be illegal, obscene, defamatory, threatening, infringing of intellectual property rights, invasive of privacy or otherwise injurious or objectionable.
- a reservation of your copyright and trademark rights or information about a Creative Commons or other collaborative licensing arrangement under which the content on the site is licensed;
- a provision conditioning the posting of user-generated content on the grant of a license to the website to use and alter the content of the posting, such as:
By posting or contributing content using these Services, you are granting [name of your website] a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, and worldwide license to use your content in connection with the operation of the Services, including, without limitation, the license rights to copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, translate and reformat your content, and/or to incorporate it into a collective work.
- a provision or provisions reserving your right to terminate or restrict access to a user's account, and to delete any content posted through it;
- a provision prohibiting the impersonation of another person (the point here is to stop a user from misleading others about their identity, not necessarily to prohibit anonymous or pseudonymous speech);
- provisions relating to inter-user relations, such as clauses prohibiting on-site and offline harassment; and
- a provision linking users and visitors to your copyright infringement policy -- for an example of this kind of policy, see the CMLP's Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy, and for details see the Protecting Yourself Against Copyright Claims Based on User Content page.